The MYP provides a framework of academic challenge that encourages students to embrace and understand the connections between subjects. This framework creates multiple opportunities for students to use their knowledge to become reflective and critical thinkers who are capable of addressing real world challenges. This broad program encourages students to be well rounded by requiring them to study eight subject groups. At TMS these include:
- Arts - Drama, Music, and Visual Arts
- Physical Education
Student learning is integrated across subjects. Connections are developed so that students understand that knowledge in different areas is interconnected. Five 'Areas of Interaction' are used as lenses to organize and extend learning. They inspire students to explore their learning with real life issues in mind and encourage students to apply their knowledge through thoughtful actions. The five 'Areas of Interaction' are: Approaches to Learning, Community and Service, Human Ingenuity, Environments and Health and Social Education.
TMS' Approach To MYP
Every student in grades 7 to 10 participates in the MYP. The key aspects of our approach include:
- A high degree of hands-on learning
- The opportunity to make choices in one's learning and learn from the effect of these choices
- An optimal mix of individual and collaborative learning activities
- Considerable integration between subject areas that develops insight and understanding of the interrelationship of various areas of knowledge and the global nature of our world
- A focus on developing higher level thinking skills such as reflection, research, synthesis, evaluation and application
In all aspects of the MPY, student work is assessed against criteria and standards set by IB. Students and parents receive detailed ongoing feedback regarding student progress. Assessment tasks take many forms including tests, exams, problem-solving activities, investigations, presentations and experiments. Continuous assessment throughout the year guides and encourages student effort and development to create a high level of preparation for an annual final assessment in each subject. Our goal is to support students to do their best possible work. External monitoring of the School's assessment practices by IB ensure maintenance of the IB standards. In this way, students are empowered to strive to do their very best.